In this episode of the Radio GDR Podcast, host Shane Whaley kicks off season 2 of the East Germany podcast chatting with listener Steve Minegar about the relationship between East Germany and Chile.
Documentary The Honeckers in Chile (in German)
Steve Minegar is the author of Tracing the Ties that Bind – Chile and East Germany’s Intersections in History blog post.
Links and Resources Mentioned on Episode 21 of the East Germany podcast – Radio GDR.
- Tracing the Ties that Bind – Chile and East Germany’s Intersections in History
- The Berlin Wall, the Honecker Case and Pinochet.
- 400 from Chile get East German haven. (New York Times, 1974.)
- East Germany’s Purple Witch Margot Honecker dies in Chile, aged 89.
- The Walls Came Tumbling Down
- Tales from the Berlin Wall
- The Lives of Others
- Open the Wall/Bornholmer Strasse
Based on the true story of the East-German border guard who was the first to let East Berliners cross the border to West Berlin on 9 November 1989.
- To Die In Berlin – Chilean writer Carlos Cerda, former youth leader of the PC and an activist until 1980, used one of his most celebrated novels, “Morir en Berlín” (1993 – To Die in Berlin), to tell the traumatic story of exile in East Germany.