In this episode of the Radio GDR Podcast, host Shane Whaley and Jordan Heyburn talk about their passion for collecting East German stamps.
Jordan shares tips on how you can get started with collecting East German stamps. He tell us where he goes to buy his East German stamps both online and in Berlin.
Jordan reveals more about his interest in shortwave radio and collecting North Korea stamps.
This episode is the first in our DDR Collectors Series. Do you collect something GDR related? Let us know, we would love to chat with you on the Radio GDR podcast about your collection.
More about collecting East German stamps.
Philatelically, the DDR issued postage stamps primarily for the purpose of spreading their political and social propaganda.
As with the USSR and the other Eastern European Communist countries, the DDR issued numerous stamps and sets of stamps during each year.
According to Stamp Collectors World ‘they even employed the practice of printing one particular denomination in a set of stamps in much smaller quantities than the other stamps in the set, in order to elevate the market prices for that particular stamp.
In its 41 years of existence, the German Democratic Republic issued over 3,400 postage stamps.
Links and Resources Mentioned on Episode 20 of the Radio GDR podcast.
- Stamp Albums recommended by Jordan Heyburn
- The Radio GDR Listeners Facebook Group
- Delcampe – Jordan recommends this website for purchasing East German stamps.
- East German Stamps on Ebay
- Torsten Belger recommended Ebay
- Stamp Collecting World Profile on East German stamps.
- 163 East German stamps on Pinterest.
- East German Stamps at Stamp World.
- Stamp Collecting 101
- Stanley Gibbons Guide to Stamp Collecting.