In this episode of the East Germany Podcast, Shane Whaley is joined by Cold War Conversations Podcast Co-Host James Chilcott.
James shares with us what fascinates him about East Germany. James tells us how he visited the Fulda Gap as a schoolboy and was photographed by East German Border Guards.
He also discusses his favorite books written about the GDR as well as TV shows and movies concerning East Germany.
We are big fans of the Cold War Conversations Podcast and Shane especially enjoyed Episode 119 -‘Working in the GDR‘ hosted by James.
Check out the first in the Why We Are Fascinated by East Germany with Steve Minegar.
One of James’ favourite East Germany YouTube clips is this tram ride in East Berlin, German Democratic Republic.
Links and Resources Mentioned on Episode 22 of the East Germany Podcast – Radio GDR.
- Cold War Conversations Podcast
- The Ugly Frontier – David Shears
- The Bicycle Teacher
- The Berlin Wall – Frederick Taylor
- The Ides of August – The Berlin Wall Crisis.
- They Divided The Sky – Christa Wolf
- Stasi Winter – David Young
- The TimeRide VR tour at Checkpoint Charlie Review
- Deutschland 83
- The Same Sky
- Barbara – 2012 Roger Ebert Movie Review